No matter your business, you have to be able to talk with your prospective customer, client or partner in order to move to the next step. To do this, you need to get the appointment. Unfortunately, many people simply cannot seem to do this on a consistent basis.
Before his tragic accident a couple of years ago, I was fortunate to be able to work with network marketing icon Bob Schmidt. His common sense approach worked extremely well for him for over three decades earning him millions annually. It also worked for literally thousands of others who were led to correct actions and thus success by his teachings.
Bob maintained that there are five legitimate reasons that someone would want to meet with you for an appointment. Take yourself out of the equation, focus on the other person and use one or more of these phrases in your conversation. Here are the five reasons they would want to meet with you.
1. Because knowledge and good information are never a disadvantage.
2. Because it always makes sense for good people to meet.
3. Because if your situation changes I want to be the first phone call you make.
4. So that you can be crystal clear on what you are saying no to.
5. Because even if you don't have an interest you may know someone who does and since all good business is a referral business, I would appreciate the referral.
To take the pressure of the other person, let them know you want to tell them about something and then say: “You may have an interest or you may not, either way is fine.”
How do you like this approach?